The management committee of an organisation is the committee or group of people who are ultimately responsible for running the organisation. If the organisation becomes a registered charity, the committee members will also become trustees of the charity. It manages the group’s affairs on behalf of the members and is responsible to the members.
The overall aims of the organisation are listed in the constitution and the committee has to put them into effect. The members of the committee have a responsibility to work together and to take decisions. They share the responsibility for decisions and actions.
The work of the committee will include:
- meeting regularly
- ensuring members are kept informed
- managing the finances
- agreeing a budget, and a fundraising strategy
- making sure the organisation is properly insured
- making sure the organisation stays within the law
- developing policies in areas such as equal opportunities, health and safety etc
- recruitment, induction and supervision of volunteers and employees
- managing volunteers and employees and making sure they are treated properly
- monitoring and evaluating performance.
In order to manage well committee members need:
- a shared vision and agreement about why the organisation exists
- clear roles and responsibilities
- clear short and long term goals
- an ability and willingness to plan, work together and set targets.
There are also several useful sources of advice and support available. You don’t have to reinvent the wheel! To begin with, it is worth contacting East Riding Voluntary Action Services. As well as the services we offer, we can direct you to other people who may be able to help.
For further information see:-
- Our Good Practise Guide (GPG14)
- The Essential Trustee – what you need to know
- Future Builders – resources and support on governance
- Association of Chief Executives of Voluntary Organisations – ACEVO
Support service for Chief Executives
- Governance Pages
This is a new website that aims to produce useful information on governance and management committees for community groups and small voluntary organisations.
- trustees unlimited
Trustees Unlimited is a joint venture between Bates Wells & Braithwaite, NCVO and Russam GMS and it is a solution to the problem many not for profit organisations face – trying to recruit high quality trustees in a rigorous and yet cost effective way.