MSP means any intervention or action taken to protect an adult must be person-led and outcome focussed. It is a shift in culture towards person centred practice and about –
- Having conversations with people
- Enhancing the adults involvement, choice and control
- Improving the quality of life, well-being and safety of the adult
- Seeing people as experts in their own lives and working alongside them.
- Ensuring that safeguarding has a positive impact on people’s lives
A safeguarding intervention should also improve quality of life, wellbeing and safety.
It is vital that all organisations recognise that adult safeguarding arrangements are there to protect individuals. We all have different preferences, histories, circumstances and life-styles, so it is unhelpful to prescribe a rigid process that must be followed whenever a concern is raised.