Website Downright Special
Would you like to get involved in helping to improve the lives of local children with Down Syndrome?
Downright Special is a charity which provides support to children with Down syndrome, their families and the professionals who work with them, across Hull and the East Riding of Yorkshire. We are at an exciting time in the charity as we start to make plans for which services we want to deliver in the future. As part of that we would like to involve more people in running the charity and shaping its future. We are currently looking for new trustees to join the board of trustees of Downright Special.
We are particularly interested in applications from people with skills in human resources, law or safeguarding but welcome applications from a diverse range of individuals who have experience that may be relevant to managing a small charity.
Trustees are responsible for ensuring the effective running of the charity, making sure that it complies with all its statutory requirements and ensuring it is continually working to enable people with Down syndrome in Hull and East Yorkshire attain their full potential. Working closely with the Charity Manager, trustees are also responsible for developing the strategy for the charity, for maintaining financial controls, ensuring the charity has robust governance process in place, for promoting the charity and for making sure that we are working for the benefit of the children and families who are part of the Downright Special family.
Downright Special takes its responsibilities for safeguarding children extremely seriously and we believe safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility. We follow safer recruiting guidelines. All Downright Special posts are subject to enhanced DBS disclosure and candidates will be required to disclose any relevant criminal history. Our safeguarding policy can be found on our website.
• A passion for ensuring children with Down syndrome reach their full potential, fully included in all aspects of life.
• Ability to challenge, interrogate data and provide support to the management team.
• Good communication skills with an ability to contribute objectively to discussions and debate.
• Previous experience of involvement in the voluntary sector is not essential but would be an advantage.
• Attendance at Trustee meetings (usually meetings take place on a rotation across Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings) currently 6 per year.
• Approx. 2-4 hours a week of own time, worked flexibly and dependent on the individual’s own availability.
How to apply
For more information and an application form please contact:
Charity Manager Gillian Bowlas on 07776172477 / Gillian@downrightspecial.co.uk
Chair of Trustees Lizann Lowson on 07789478867 / Lizann@downrightspecial.co.uk
Closing date: 30th September 2021
To apply for this job email your details to Gillian@downrightspecial.co.uk.